Self Care

There is a range of NHS services on your doorstep.

                                                                                   [*Please note 'NHS Direct' has now been replaced with 'NHS111']


This is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses, upset stomachs and aches and pains can be treated with a very well stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

Some self-care essentials include:

  • paracetamol, ibuprofen
  • anti-diarrhoeal medicine
  • re-hydration mixtures
  • indigestion remedies
  • plasters and a thermometer.

For further advice about self-care at home click here to visit the Self Care Forum or click on the following links for patient information leaflets:

Hayfever_Self Care Leaflet

Coughs and colds_Self Care Leaflet

Pain_Self Care Leaflet

Piles_Self Care Leaflet

NHS Choices is a website where you can find up-to-date, reliable and expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses and complaints, as well as find your nearest NHS services, such as GP’s, dentists, pharmacists, Walk-in Centres.

NHS 111 – This is a free to call service which will help you when you need to access medical help fast but NOT AN EMERGENCY. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you access local urgent health care services. Call free on '111'.

For self care advice for children and young persons please click here

Your Local Community Pharmacy

Your local pharmacy can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses and complaints. To find your local pharmacy with longer opening hours, go to or call NHS111 free on '111'.

Your GP

If you have an illness or injury that persists, make an appointment with your GP. They provide a range of services by appointment, including medical advice, examinations and prescriptions.

Walk-in Centre

The nearest Walk-in Centre is located at: Brighton Station Walk In Centre [Aspect House, 84-87 Queens Road, Brighton] 0333 321 0946.  Open 7 days a week - 8.00 am to 8.00 pm ... they are able to cope with a range of conditions, rashes and burns. They are also able to provide emergency contraception.  For more information click here.

To find an alternative Walk-in Centre or similar service (Minor Injuries Unit or Urgent Care Centre), go to or call NHS111 free on '111'

A&E and 999

A&E departments and the '999' ambulance service should only be used in a serious life-threatening situation. If in doubt ring NHS111 free on '111' for advice. Dialling 999 and stating an emergency situation will result in a responsive vehicle being sent to your location.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website